QUALITY is the key in education. We work to improve quality of education systems and schools. In Finland, we believe that quality in education is based on continuing development of identified core conditions concerning both the structures and operations. We don't use standard quality programmes but we always analyse the starting point, and thereafter tailor-make the recommendations for further development areas and processes.
Viewpoints to quality of education
ECF Tools for schools
1. School performance review
ECF 360 Review is a multidimensional analysis to review school quality and performance with the framework of Finnish Quality Criteria of basic education by the Finnish Ministry of Education. It offers education providers a tool for evaluating their activities and operations within the framework of expertise and knowledge from the Finnish educational system.
Finnish experts will collect baseline data through background information and online questionnaires on the school performance and operations. In addition, the experts will spend two days at the school observing and interviewing the school staff. As a result, the school will receive a monitoring report outlining the reviewed school performance.
Phases of ECF 360 Review:
- Baseline data collected within the framework of Finnish Quality Criteria
- Selected questionnaires from different perspectives (e.g. Parent Survey, staff questionnaire, management 360 evaluation)
- ECF Experts observing and interviewing the school staff
- ECF Experts completing the monitoring report based on collected data
2. Roadmap workshop
Workshop to review current school performance, the challenges and to create roadmap for development. Finnish experts will facilitate a workshop with the school representatives. Together the participants will review the monitoring results and co-create the hands-on development plan for performance improvement. The roadmap workshop can be based on ECF 360 Review in step 1 or any other existing monitoring results.
3. Tools for schools
Short-term practical training or development processes to tackle identified challenges in the school. Finnish experts will implement selected quick fixes for the school development needs. Each training or development process takes one week and includes work-embedded actions at the school, expert lectures and dialogue, team work and reflection.
Examples of possible themes:
- Student-centred perspectives to education
- Pedagogical skills and didactics for teachers to provide the best learning results
- Encouraging assessment and evaluation practices
- Curriculum development to meet the needs of students
- School safety
- Educational leadership and management
- Special education
- Home-school collaboration