Marja-Liisa Mustonen has hands-on experience of
- International programme liaison and implementation
- Coordinating specialized networks
- Monitoring and quality assurance
- Concept development and design
- Strategic planning and action plan construction
- Tendering, applications and business development
- Financial administration and reporting
- Project management and representation
Over the past 17 years she has been a key player in expanding international operations within the University of Jyväskylä affiliates including the Finnish Institute for Educational Research, and UniServices Ltd. During this period she was mainly focused on the Western Balkans (Bosnia/Herzegovina, Kosovo and Croatia), sub/Saharan Africa (Ethiopia, Zambia, and Mozambique), and Russia. This involved handling tenders, setting up localized resources, negotiating with local stakeholders, building teams, and implementing project phases. She was also closely involved with school networks in Namibia and South Africa.
She is currently Project Manager for EduCluster Finland Ltd. cooperating with international partner and donor agencies worldwide. Consolidating her previous experience she is now engaged with outreach operations in Egypt, Ethiopia, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan and Tanzania. All are education related, with particular focus on inclusive education, equity, and system reform.